Sunday, March 1, 2009

And I thought Canadian Beer was good...

Soooo I am back in Phnom Penh: Kampot and Kep were a little too touristy and boring for my likings. Here is an outline of my weekend of adventure:

Kampot- Stay: Blissful Guesthouse. $5 room with fan and bug net, share bathrooms. Bar downstairs, nice owner, interesting guests. Spent two nights there, and in between managed to visit a neat cafe run completely by deaf and blind Cambodians called Epic Arts Cafe, Highlight of Kampot. Went to a little bar called honey bar... where the drinks were too small and too expensive. Met a 63 yr old sleezeball who was trying to get me drunk. He didnt speak Khmer, so the lady bartender and I were calling him creepy and crazy. I Left, bought a book of Cambodian Folklore, had another beer at the BGH and went to bed. Awoke at 7 the next morning, and was on a moto to Kep by 9. Driver drove a little fast and i wrenched my back (combination of cambodian buses, motos, and bad plywood beds)

Kep- Stay: Kukuluku. $5 a night for a bed in a 6 person dorm. Full when I arrived so had to wait three hours until i could leave my stuff on my bed. It was too hot to explore because KU is a little away from the rest of nothing, so i napped till 3. Then I went exploring. Went to a crab market. First time eating fresh crab. I actually took pictures of her catching my mid afternoon meal. Then, as i was preparing to venture to some old ruins just by the beach ( I am not a beach person, too boring sitting doing nothing but getting burnt and attacked by bugs) the heavens opened and the torrential rains began. There was a nice moto man who picked me up to drive me home, but when I told him i would only pay him $1, he stopped. In the middle of the road, pouring rain. So then I yelled at him and said he had 15 seconds to get me home or i was going to tell all the tourists i am sharing a dorm with that he is the worst moto driver in town. Got me home, and was happy with the dollar. Hung around with a 50 year old retiree who was biking across SE Asia. then I decided i would try to explore again, becuase I knew i wouldnt last another day in a town of nothing. Got as far as the market again when it started to rain again. Hid in a little bead store, made a pretty bracelet for way too much money, but it was fun and kept me dry. Rain ceased for what i hoped was long enough to run home. Not a lucky person when it comes to chance, and made it 15 steps before it started to rain again. I am so glad i had a rainjacket with me all day, kept half of me dry. Ran to a bar and had some beers with the Bike man, 2 dutch people, simon-the kukuluku's owners boyfriend i think, and a tall blonde european named Tom. Tom, who is my age, works for an organization who does a lot of work with my organization so we talked for a while. He was bummed for me that it rained and offered to be my tourguide the next day if it was sunny. Then i went back to the ku and had a pleasant evening talking and drinking beers with the hippies. the guy walks around with a yukileilie? and wears a sheet for a skirt, and sings indian music all night. i went to bed at two. He thinks 9-11 was an experiment for a new nuclear chemical the states developed that turns steel and iron into dust instantly. it was interesting. Then I Called Tom this morning, since he was waiting to know when we would go touring because it was nice and sunny- but i told him his sparkling blue eyes werent enough to keep me in the boring town for another minute, and then I was on a bus back to PP before noon. Haha I laugh.

PP-Burley GH. Now i am here, with a ticket bought for 8:45 tomorrow morning to Kampong Cham, which i hope will be a little more exciting. There are a lot of cool temples i want to see and then I am going to bus up to Kratie.

Sorry for the lengthy blog, but i dont know how much technology there is where I am going.
AND THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT FOR THE PRESCHOOL IN TATIEM. WE ARE SO CLOSE TO THE GOAL- I DONT KNOW NUMBERS RIGHT NOW BUT I FEEEEEL IT!

oh, and dont expect many pictures of kampot/kep. a lot of bridges and rocks and tourist wearing obscenely little clothing. havent had the camera out much. saving space for something cool like temples and dolphins and elephants. lao beer and angchor may be the best beer in the world. mm in the last three days i have had 15 beers *no joke i bar hop, kept it out of my recap hoping most of you wouldnt make it this far*... paid for 4. I am not even that much of a beer drinker, but the heat and the deliciousness...... mmmmmmm..... where is the closest bar......?
xxoxoxoxooxo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Emy we have raides 200 and some odd dollars so that will get you closer to your goal!!