So I haven't put a post up since getting here... Instead I have been sending out emails... (If you haven't received one, email me to get added: emily.gunn@hotmail.com)
Here is a brief timeline of events since getting here last Wednesday. It is long, might want to sit on a pillow, go pee, and grab your next meal...
Wednesday, Jan 14:
- Mum and I wake up and bus to "Poisat"
- We meet Summet, who we learn is a sweet man with a bad back who works in Phnom Penh for Sustainable Cambodia
- On the bas, a little boy sitting behind me stashes gum in my hair. That becomes a mess and is later clipped out with Nail clippers
- We arrive at Pursat, and end up confusing Andrew, who was waiting for us at the bus stop. Little did he know that Summet got the bus driver to drop us off at the SC building, not the bus stop. Very funny in hindsight. Andrew didn't think so.
- Mother and I get a tour, meet Mr. Ni, a very funny man. He handles finances for SC. We meet my housemate Laura, who was with the Peace Cor in Mongolia. Woah.
- Mum and I go out for dinner, where my abilities to draw chickens and moo like a cow order our meal. Which was very very good. Then we see a giant Rat. Giant as in I think it was chasing a cat...
- Bed time, with a giant bug net. Awesome.
Thursday, Jan 15:
- Mum and I awake, walk to the bus stop to buy her ticket for later that day.
- Mum, Laura, Torri (another volunteer who has been here since August) and I go for a farewell brunch before mother has to catch the bus.
- We have our heartfelt goodbye, and then mother leaves on a moto to the bus stop.
- After breakfast/lunch, I am given a list of things I can help with. I spend the afternoon with Laura writing a quick report to an Organization who gave SC money for bikes and instruments
- I sit in on the evening English class that Megan taught. The kids have mad English skills. Most of them remember the other Gunn's that visited. They were doing presentations on restaurants they made up. It was funny.
- We have banana leaf wrapped Amuk for dinner. Which was awesome. Laura, Torri, Megan (Another volunteer) and I read People's "Sexiest men of 2008." Since the three of them are in their mid-twenties, I filled them in on who the young ones were, and they reminisced about shows they know. We also discuss the differences between America and Canada. I am the lone canuck.
Friday, Jan 16:
- Laura and I get a pleasant breakfast of fruit and eggs, Heing is a great cook. Laura and I are off to the school.
- I am given the task to research a project SC was asked to take part of. Its a silly political petition that would have little effect with a corrupt government.
- I fill Phalla in on the project. I don't think he liked it either.
- Day is spent researching and sitting playing games on my computer.
- Sit in on the evening class again. Kids super funny.
- Bedtime.
Saturday, Jan 17:
- All the volunteers (minus Richard, who was sick) hop onto the back of motos and drive to Krevign commune to visit past and future SC projects. It was hot and dirty and I am definitely sun burnt.
- We stopped at many places, visiting family fish ponds, bio sand filters, and pass on pigs. We found a peanut field which was neat. I didn't know peanuts grew on roots underground.
- We eventually had a delicious lunch. Didn't ask what it was. Later, we try palm wine and porcupine. I don't recommend the porcupine. It is really really fatty.
- We eventually stop for the night at a neat part of the village. The community needs help building permanent wells, instead of re digging shallow well every week. and they need a preschool.
- A big meeting takes place with that area of the community, where I am introduced as the new kid. It was ballin'.Then I may have volunteered myself to find $500 for the preschools roof. By March.
- We have a delicious dinner. Well, I liked the Chinese radishes and rice. But I didn't enjoy the wild boar and tree ants. The tree ants poke your mouth and it is not pleasant.
- Spent a surprisingly cold night sleeping outside in a hammock. With a bug net. Mr Bong, the man who drove me there, rigged my sketchy hammock between posts. Very nice man. I am thinking of buying my own hammock for home. They are so handy dandy!
Sunday, Jan 18:
- We set off again to visit more sections of the village.We visit one that was confusing to find, and ended up in the middle of nowhere, walked through two rivers, and up what seemed like a mountain to visit this very secluded and sweet village.
- There was a meeting with the group about a preschool being made up there. They said they tried to make a school, but the land they planned on using they were told had sugar cane on it and they weren't allowed to build there. Not nice Mr Cane Farmer...
- We nap before trekking home. We arrive dusty and hot. A cold shower has never been so pleasant.
- Then I think Laura and I watched a movie, and headed to bed.
Monday, Jan 19:
- I woke up kind of late, and headed in. Spent the day on the computer, trying to figure out how I am going to get the money for the roof. I research teaching abroad stuff. Find I can get paid for teaching science in Rwanda. I wanna do that.
- Then Richard and I type up the kids sponsor Bios for the website. It was interesting to see all the kids describe their home lives... really interesting.
- Torri and I visit the Tele, which is a gas station/7-11. We get ice cream which was nice in the heat. Again, we compare the USA and Canada and Cambodia.
- I sit in on a Peace Cor teacher's English class. Whitney taught the group about poetry and different things like similes, alliterations, stanza etc. And we read Rain by Shel Silverstein. I like that poem.
- We head home for more Amuk. Torri helped Heing make it this time to learn the recipe, it was more as a casserole, without the banana leaves. Very delicious.
- Whitney and I talk about Peace Cor and teaching and such. She goes home, then Laura and I watch Heroes. That is a neat show...
Tuesday, Jan 20:
- Emily noticed that tomorrow for you guys, is Obama's Inauguration. I wanna see footage of that! It's weird being a day ahead...
- I spend my morning battling with the lazy Internet connection as I try to upload pictures.
- That's It.
So I am sorry it was so lengthy... I had to play a weeks worth of catch-up... I will try to get on here regularly.
2 comments:
What a great summary - I am so glad I can actually picture some of what you are explaining. Not sure I need to sample the ants, however. You are missed and loved mucho! Keep up the blog - I love hearing about the day to day details. oxoxo Mum
hello my love, i did not receive an email and i am offended, OFFENDED! just jokes though i'm sure you are extra busy taking care of babies and whatever else you do paint walls, i'm honestly not really clear on what you are doing... i miss you lots and lots though.
love, alex
Post a Comment